So I really haven't been doing a good job of keeping up with the blog lately. Mostly because 1. I've been pretty busy and 2. I don't have a WHOLE lot to say lately. Since I last blogged we spent Thanksgiving with friends here in Abilene which was a lot of fun and then we went to Fredericksburg to spend time with my family which was very relaxing and enjoyable. As of tomorrow I have exactly 2 weeks left in my first internship. I'm actually really sad to have to leave my patients and co-workers. I've been really blessed with an amazing CI that has taught me SO MUCH and I've come to really love hand therapy. I definitely feel at this point that I am ready to be an occupational therapist. I am also excited to start my pediatrics rotation, after all I did go into occupational therapy because of kids with disabilities. I will have two CI's in the spring and will be splitting my time between school based therapy and outpatient pediatrics. It will be very different then what I've been doing the last 10 weeks and I will get to learn from 2 very different therapists so I am looking forward to it. On another good note, the hospital hired me on to work as a technician (assistant) in the Acute wing of the hospital over the holidays and some weekends/late afternoons in the spring. Acute rehab is not my favorite area to work in but its 1. a little extra income for us and 2. more experience for me so I look at it as a win-win situation.
This weekend we stayed in town and went to 2 Christmas parties. Friday night went to my CI's house for our OT Christmas party with my co-workers. That was a lot of fun because we all made appetizers and it was a smaller group and we just talked and played games and relaxed. It was nice seeing everyone outside of the hospital and getting to know their spouses and children. Saturday night we went to Todd's squadron Christmas party which was a "fancier" party at the Officer's Club on base. The food was really good and we got to meet some other people in the squadron. The party was "cocktail attire" but also included a Christmas sweater contest which Todd won 2nd place for his ridiculous Goodwill $1.99 Christmas sweater straight from 1988 that he put LED lights into.(I'll post pics when I get them) The real fun was the after party which was, of course at a hotel bar here in town. I don't really understand why all the good places to go are hotel bars. Anyway, they had a live cover band that was really good and the commander of Todd's squadron came out and everyone had a really good time. Today was VERY relaxing. We really didn't do much of anything and it was nice.
Next weekend we're planning on going to Dallas to see my sister and some friends and cheer on runners at the Dallas White Rock Marathon. Neither one of us has ever cheered on a marathon and some runner's in the runner's club will be running their first marathon. With gas so cheap these days it's nice to be able to get out of Abilene for a weekend and not spend too much money. Oh and in case word has not gotten around, Todd and I start training tomorrow for the Ft. Worth Cowtown Marathon on February 28, 2009!
No comments:
Post a Comment