Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bittersweet Reunion

As usual, it has been a while since I last blogged. Saying that this past week has been CRAZY does not really do it justice. For those of you that didn't know, Todd's grandmother passed away December 10. She had fallen and broken her hip the previous Saturday and then 2 days later suffered a mild heart attack. After much deliberation the doctors decided that it was best to try to surgically repair her hip or else she would be unable to get out of bed and probably get pneumonia. Well, long story short, her weak heart could not handle the operation and she passed away. While it was a very sad loss, she was 94 years old and had lived an exceptional life. She had a huge family that loved her dearly and until the day she died she loved the Lord with all her heart. It was even mentioned several times that she told the doctors at least 3 times that if the Lord came to get her, they'd better not stand in His way! And the last words she ever spoke were asking the nurse before she went into surgery if she loved Jesus. Todd and I were VERY fortunate to have been able to be in Minnesota with almost his entire family to honor such a woman. I, unfortunately never met her in person but only talked to her on the phone one time, but the stories and memories I heard over the past 4 days tell me I really missed out on knowing an amazing person. She will be deeply missed by many.

On the happier side of this past weekend we had the opportunity to see pretty much all of Todd's immediate and extended family. I had never met many of them and it was truly wonderful to get to know and put faces to some of the names I've heard many times and understand more of were Todd comes from. I had an absolute blast with every person we were around this past weekend and I know Todd enjoyed it just as much since it had been 2 years since he had seen most of them. It was a bittersweet reunion because we were not planning of going up north for the holidays but we were blessed with an opportunity to see family this time of year and we will truly treasure the 4 days we got to spend in Minnesota.

PS- I got to see REALLY BIG snowflakes!! AND I got to go the Mall of America! (icing on the cake for the whirlwind trip)

No comments: