Today was IUI#4. First of all, I have to say that I absolutely *love* Dr. Diehl. He's such an eternal optimist. (so is his nurse) You can tell he is one of those doctors that went into OB/GYN because he truly loves delivering babies and then went into infertility because he truly loves helping people get to that point. I feel very blessed that he is both my Reproductive Endocrinologist (in conjunction with "head honcho" RE, Dr Smith in Denver) and my OB/GYN. I feel like I get the best of both worlds. Anyway, for my IF savy friends it was your pretty typical IUI. Todd did his thing around 3pm and I went in at 4pm then Dr. Diehl, MD student Dave and nurse Lyndee did the IUI. Dr. Diehl is so hopeful for this cycle. So much so that I will be extremely crushed if it doesn't work. He said everything looked perfect, yes, perfect. I responded great to the new meds. My lining looked good. My follicles looked good. All my hormone levels have looked good.The ovulation trigger was perfectly timed and he referred to Todd's "awesome sample" as having "hearty sperm" HA! So now we wait.... Todd leaves for Vegas next Friday for 2 weeks so it will mostly be me waiting by myself.
But what is an IUI you ask?? Well, I'll tell you. Also known as an intrauterine insemination it is actually the very simple process of taking a sample of sperm and washing it which is pretty much glorified Darwinism as only the strongest, fastest, most motile sperm survive and injecting it via catheter inserted into the uterus. Its like a combination of a HSG (see prior post) and a pap smear. It's over relatively quick, is more uncomfortable than painful and causes some mild cramping afterwards. Why do you do IUIs? When you're taking all these fertility meds you want to do everything you can to increase your chances of success. Bottom line. It continues to amaze me that some people go through all of this and don't get pregnant and amazes me more that people don't go through all of this and get pregnant.
1 comment:
I have high hopes for this cycle for you!! So glad everything went so well!
Post a Comment