Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What did I do before HD & DVR??

Seriously? What did I do before HDTV & DVR? For so long Todd and I talked about how TV's weren't that important to us and we didn't need to upgrade from our 32" tube tv (yes, they still exist and we owned one). All of our friends have bought nice, new flat screen TVs with HD with all the bells and whistles but we never got it. Then one Saturday we went to Sam's Club, to buy pickles and beer by the way (yes, I know that sounds odd, but it's true) and right in the front door are all the TVs. The A&M game was coming on TV that afternoon and out of nowhere Todd says, "we should get a new TV to watch the game on". I thought he was joking but there we were looking at all the TVs, sizes, features and ultimately applying for the Sam's Club Discover card that would give us no interest payments for 6 months. The most unconventional, impulse purchase Todd and I have ever made separately or together happened that day. We generally discuss options, shop around, talk to people, try to make an informed consumer decision- nope, didn't happen. After less than 1 hour in the store, we rolled out our new Samsung, 52", LCD, flat screen TV. We had already upgraded to DVR a few weeks before, for the Olympics and couldn't get HD until Monday, but man, when we did! We had seen HDTV and admired it but never realized just how crappy the standard cable picture really is. I don't know if it's because we have more time to watch TV now or if a big, crystal clear picture makes us want to watch more TV but the amount of TV we watch has gone up exponentially. And yes, I'll admit, if you don't own a big screen HDTV, don't invite me to come watch a football game with you, I've now joined the ranks of TV snobs who will only watch Steve McGee & Tony Romo in HD.

Sue me, it's fabulous.

PS- and we did find out that we did get a GREAT tv for a great price and could not have gotten a better deal anywhere else. So sometimes impulse buying does pay off :)

No comments: