Monday, June 21, 2010

Its not too late for May right?

I was doing SO GOOD about at least blogging once a month...I made it almost 5 months! Since it's June 21, I'll go a head and update May and June since the next week and a half of June won't be that exciting to wait an extra week to hear about.

May was in every sense of the word, a roller coaster ride! I went to Texas, Dallas this time, for another wedding of another grad school friend. The wedding was only about 2 miles from my sister's house so I was able to spend some time with her and see friends as well. It was a quick trip as usual but so worth it!

Then my mom was supposed to com in town on May 28 but mother nature had other plans and decided to send massive downpour, tornado filled storms to the Black Hills on May 24 which led to our basement being flooded. Coming home after a long day at work to standing water in your basement is not exactly "ideal". This was the first time I've ever just stood frozen in time literally not knowing what to do. So I called my dad...who also didn't really know what to do since they don't have basements in Texas like we have them in the north. So I made a few other phone calls and got my very helpful neighbor and within about 2 hours I had a whole team of help including neighbors, friends and the Stanley Steam 24 hour water restoration team. It wasn't a fast process because of the holiday and the extent of the water damage but after 10 days of frustration, yes, a few tears and maybe a couple of inappropriate choices of words the basement got put back together...and re-arranged thanks to my mom :) My mom was awesome and changed her flight to come in 3 days early to help me with the basement so I didn't have to take off too much work to deal with it. She ended up being her for almost 2 full weeks and we did a lot of touristy things and A LOT of house things to try and get stuff done before Todd comes home. I think she was glad to finally go back to Texas!

May 31 marked mine and Todd's 2 year wedding anniversary! It was kind of bittersweet not having him here to celebrate but I did get to talk to him and since it was a holiday I shared the day with my closest friends and my mom here in South Dakota. I know he will likely miss other anniversaries and that's ok because he's proudly serving our country. There will be many other days to celebrate when he is home.

The first weekend of June was full of activity! On Saturday June 5, we did something called the Volksmarch at Crazy Horse Memorlal http://www.crazyhorsememorial.org/events/volksmarch.html We got to hike to the arm of the still in progress monument. You can only do this one time a year and we missed doing it last year so I was really glad to get to do it this year. What a different perspective of this giant monument!

Saturday June 6 I ran the Mickelson Trail Half Marathon in Deadwood...another nationally known event that I was happy to be a part of this year. The Mickelson Trail is part of the "Rail to Trail" system and spans 100 miles of the Black Hills http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/mickelson-trail/default.aspx They do bike races and bike tours on the trail as well that I'd like to do at some point.

June 11-14 I went to Las Vegas for a weekend with some college friends. After all the drama in South Dakota with the house it was nice to just get away for a weekend, eat some good food, see a show and see one of my best friends. I didn't win big (didn't lose big either) but really just had a relaxing time.

Yesterday, June 20, I did my first ever Triathlon here in Rapid City. It was a sprint triathlon so 800m swin, 20K bike ride and 5K run. It was a lot of fun but I'm not sure I'm going to make Triathlons a regular part of my insane endurance sport schedule. I'm not particularly fond of the swimming part. I'd do this race again, and maybe one other. I definitely have a new appreciation for Ironmen! Holy Cow! That is just INSANITY!!

Well thats my wold travels and recent events. July will be pretty slow. I work the next few weekends (including the July 4 holiday) and I'll be spending time making sure all is ready for THE BIG HOMECOMING!! July 28 is the unofficial homecoming day! I'm trying not to count down yet but last I heard I think its about 34 days away! I am VERY much looking forward to my best friend being back and going on our "Western National Parks Road Trip"! So likely, I will no blog until August!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yayyyyyyyyy less than 1 month left :) glad you have been staying busy and also glad you got thru the big flood ok!