Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Break and the Rattlesnake Roundup

This past week was Spring Break here in Abilene. Since I work in the schools I actually got the week off from my school kids. I did have to work on Monday and Friday seeing Early Childhood and clinic kids and I went up north to see some school kids who were not on Spring Break with my other CI, Todd. Having the three days off was nice but I had A LOT of paperwork to do and I had to put together my portfolio that is due next Friday to my CI.

One of the things that I did get to do was go to Austin and meet up with my best friend Liz and FINALLY meet her baby, Will. Liz had Will 6 months ago and I was determined to meet him and see Liz before we move up north. It was well worth the trip!

This weekend we went to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup. We moved here just after it finished last year and were asked several times if we made it out to it so we figured it MUST be a big deal. WRONG! It was basically your average county fair with flea markets, carnival rides and all the fried food you can eat... with a building full of rattlesnakes thrown in. On the inside of the Roundup you could watch them milk the snakes for venom, skin the snakes, measure the snakes and listen to "snake handling safety" (Like I really want to handle a rattle snake!) It was hardly worth the 30 minute drive and $7 we paid to get in. Oh well, we can say we went. Here are some pictures from the Roundup. Be aware, some are graphic.







Isn't West Texas fun??

As far as the move, we're still expecting to be out of Abilene in early April, Todd has 3 flights left and should finish next week. We're currently looking into buying our first home which is scary and exciting all at the same time and looking from thousands of miles away makes no exception. We're not worried, God will provide the perfect place wether it's buying a house or living on base.

That's about all the excitement in the Saksa household. Only 10 days stand between me and my master's degree!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

YAY what an accomplishment :) i know you are so pumped it's almost over!! congrats :)

also happy 2 year engagement anniversary!