Sunday, February 15, 2009

Run fast and carry a big stick

Yesterday marked a first for me in my many years of running...I was BITTEN BY A DOG!!
Saturday was our LAST 20 mile training run before the Cowtown marathon and the Abilene Runner's Club was going back out to Steamboat Mountain to run the 13 mile course so Todd and I thought it a perfect opportunity to run some great hills and finish the 20 miler on back country roads instead of the same neighborhoods that we always run in. Unfortunately, Todd had his running buddy and I was either not fast enough to run with some or too fast to run with others and therefore, I was left running alone. Around mile 14 (about 4 miles from where our cars where) out of nowhere 2 dogs started barking at me. I didn't really think anything of it because dogs bark at me all the time when running and have even run up and sniffed at me. But before I could even react one of them ran up and bit me really hard on my right calf! He even bit me so hard that I fell on my other knee and elbow! I didn't really have time to react and the other dog was growling so I just got up and kept running to get away! Once I got back on a main road I stopped to "assess the damage" I was wearing running tights which fortunately took some of the blow but my right calf has 4 decent sized cuts, a few scratches and one REALLY large bruise! It seriously was a traumatizing experience. I felt betrayed by my favorite animal on earth and when it happened I had an overwhelming feeling of being alone since I was miles from anyone I knew and didn't have my cell phone. I actually finished the run, with a lot of pain and tears, and vowed to never run long runs on country roads with out a stick or rock and when necessary to always carry my cell phone. Once Todd picked me up and we went home and showered we decided it was the right thing to do to report the bite. We had to file a report with the county Sheriff who met us at the hospital to take a report and the dog was picked up and taken in to be quarantined for 10 days. We ended up waiting for an hour and a half at the emergency room to find out they were only going to give me a tetnus shot (which I've had one in the past 3 years) so we left. Quite the eventful Valentine's Day :)

After all said and done, we did have a very enjoyable Valentine's Day evening at home and made lamb chops, grilled asparagus and polenta. We had some wine and finished the evening with homemade gluten free molten chocolate cake and ice cream :) YUM!

Work updates: Todd has 5 more flights and I have 6 more weeks of interning!

T minus 2 weeks until the Ft. Worth Cowtown Marathon...and then a nice long race break :)

No comments: